Conventional aerobic wastewater treatment has just celebrated a century of activated sludge, to which we owe most of our sewage treatment in the last 100 years. But today it is looking like an energy-intensive process, somewhat complicated to operate for high quality water reuse.
It is well known that a major part of wastewater treatment cost is spent on energy for aeration. Today there is an alternative for that: self-respiring Membrane Aerated Biofilm Reactor (MABR).
Ideal for small wastewater treatment plants, Fluence Corporation’s MABR is a Spirally-wound sleeve with an internal air-side spacer, through which low pressure air is blown, and an external water side spacer between wraps of the spiral. The spiral is submerged in a tank to which wastewater is fed continuously and effluent is discharged by overflow. This solution saves energy by eliminating the need to blow compressed air into the depth of the water for aeration, thanks to Fluence’s patented passive aeration process.
Features and Benefits:
- 90% less aeration energy, 80% less energy (including feed pump)
- 30%-50% reduction in the amount of excess sludge compared to conventional processes
- Simultaneous nitrification and denitrification
- Integrated effluent clarification inside the module, thus clarifiers are not required, and footprint is
- Modular design enables on-site, distributed treatment and also gradual implementation and expansion in the future
- Odourless, dry installation
The MABR technology from Fluence Corporation is offered in two versatile formats:
Aspiral™ – plug-and-play containerized wastewater treatment systems
SUBRE™ – greenfield projects or capacity upgrades using MABR technology
To find out more, visit our partner’s website https://www.fluencecorp.com/mabr/